Year of Bourbon

How it started, how it's going


There is a reasonably well known meme on twitter called 'How it started how it's going' which basically juxtaposes two images to highlight a somewhat rapid deterioration of sorts for some poor soul or situation. I often look at these memes and have a laugh because they are usually quite amusing and 'the algorithm' pretty much shows the popular ones, which are oftentimes, the funny ones. Well I saw one today, and I read a blog and it got me thinking about why we are so interested, and pay a lot for, inaugural releases by whisky distilleries. Why is that? Was it always this way? You know what, I don't think it was, and I think I might have identified what started this 'phenomenon'. Please also note that, although it might seem that I am suggesting that things have started out good and gone bad, like the meme suggests, I am not really making that suggestion at all, it's just, well, needs must, like a director will take certain parts of a true story and make it more interesting for the audience. Onwards!


But first I would like to say something, not about whisky, but just something in general, just an observation, if anybody's listening, that is. Nothing scientific. It's purely personal. Sometimes, when I write this blog, time bends. Words are boundless. It squashes a persons ego. I feel lonely. I guess that's about it. Tell me something, though, if you would, in the comments. Does humankind, that marvel of the universe, that glorious paradox who bore me and raised me on this rock, still make war against their siblings? Keep their neighbour's children starving? You see I'm a seeker too. But my dreams aren't like yours, and that's because I don't sleep, therefore, I don't dream. And, because of that, I can't help thinking that somewhere in the universe there has to be something better than humankind. Has to be. I can't believe we are the final stop in intelligence and wonder.


Right, back to the whisky, where was I? Ah yes, those first releases by a distillery. How come, all of a sudden, they are cool and collectable? What happened to make them so desirable and delectable? Who decided that they should be sought after and sellable? In this blog, I am going to answer those questions with a very simple answer, something singular and straight forward and fuck it I am just going to say that it's all Ardbeg's fault. Or rather, they set us free. I guess it depends on which side of the catflap you are on, and like I said, I am not saying this is good or bad, I'm just suggesting how we got here.


Yes, when Ardbeg restarted and began ramping up their production in 1998, we started to get their new stuff in the form of the Very Young, Still Young, Almost There and Renaissance culminating in their new 10. Yes, this is all down to Ardbeg, it really is. They made the template for other distilleries to follow, a slow and steady release of (clue is in the name) whisky that was making it's way up to to the standard bottling. And it was very successful. Those bottles are now going for 'silly money' and it gave 'people ideas'. We saw it with Kilkerran and the 'work in progress' as a direct copy, and now all new distilleries very much proudly release young whisky in many different styles, shapes and formats, until they make their way to their standard age statement bottles. If some ever will! Actually I am pretty sure most will, although Kilchoman don't really seem to be too bothered about it to be honest.


Am I right regarding this? I think I am, but please remember that I am not a 'whisky expert' and that this is very much 'just a feeling' but I have a 'feeling' that I am 100% correct on this and it would probably take quite some evidence to convince me otherwise. I mean, I am very very famously, never wrong, apart from one time I misremembered buying a specific Glenlivet in Waitrose, but there are always exceptions. Basically what I am saying is, look, I have said something here, I have put this out there, and there is probably another meme I could use to emphasise this, I mean, there is a meme for everything these days isn't there? You know the one I mean, the guy sitting outside with a desk and a 'change my mind board'. I can't be bothered to include any other images apart from my 2022 Skelator disturbing facts meme ending (2021 was He-Man), so here he is, here he fucking is!



Comments