Year of Bourbon

The Top 10 Whisky Twitter Awards of 2021

Welcome to the Whisky Awards 2021 of Twitter. These awards are in no order, they are simply the top ten whisky twitter awards in my humble, and probably offensive, opinion. So here we go, in no order, who I think are some of the best on Twitter in whisky in 2021. Please note, that this is a specific award granted to those who are doing things on Twitter, this is a Twitter based awards, these people are based on Twitter. Also, like some football awards, this list was generated in October/November time, so any last minute surges, spurts or amazing tweets in December have not been taken into account. I say this for transparency. Also there are 'honourable mentions' that easily could have been on this list, LMAO this meaningless list. So!

Here we go here we fucking go!

Andy at Maltbox 5 whiskies for under 100 pounds blog post. This got a lot of people 'thinking' and really pushed home the fact that yes you can so easily spend 100 pounds on one whisky, lol so so easily these days, but you can also get 5 very good whiskies for that same amount of money. And at the end of the day, those 5 bottles could be used for LOL's and LMAO's in a much more sustainable way than that one bottle. More people could join in, like feeding the 5 thousand, Andy is kind of a modern day whisky Jesus, if you think about it, but not too much. He is also part of the Online Whisky Awards or something like that, and he makes really good whisky videos, which is the toughest game on earth. Well done Andy.

5 Whiskies for under a hundred

Bert Smedley for his bin day reviews. He gives us a binary good or bad review of a lot of whiskies, focusing on quantity over quality in terms of review detail. And that's a good thing, it's on the extremes, and in todays fast moving and dynamic word, it plays an important part with regards to whisky purchases. All affordable, all honest, and it generates discussion. Fair play to the lad, fair play I say. He also responds to my tweets, which is so very important in these awards, so very important indeed! The run ins with Malt, in particular Taylor Cope, are perhaps too far, but I do prefer Bert to Taylor, that's not saying anything against Taylor, sweet simple man that he is, but I just prefer Bert. I just wish he would take it easier on Taylor, who is a very much 'uncomplicated' I feel, and that's a good thing.

"bin day" (from:BertSmedley) - Twitter Search / Twitter

Matt at the Dramble. Matt writes well, is prolific, and has some very interesting views as well as an experienced palette. I will always read what he has to say, and he responds to me as well, which I also like and that's very nice but I swear that didn't have anything to do with Matt winning this prestigious award. I have bought whisky purely based on his writings, and every single time, he 'makes me think' which is what it's all about. Well done Matt, well done. I have to say making a review every day for the advent calendar is a superhuman effort, I know, I tried it for 14 days, too much, crazy. I miss his SMWS reviews however, which I really found very helpful, but understand why they aren't around anymore.

The Dramble is a well-regarded whisky website build on a bedrock of honesty, integrity, professionalism and passion

Me for my expose on the scoring of the IWSC awards. I'm fucking great, and someone needed to say it, but these awards like so many are there to increase the sales of whisky as much as they are a sign of quality and someone has to say 'no'. I was always going to include myself in these awards, because I wanted to highlight that no awards are objective, and also that yes, I am not so bad at some stuff. Well done me, LMAO, for winning an award that's been awarded by myself. Look, I really did triple check this, and I really did make the top ten whisky twitter awards this year in 2021. I wouldn't be surprised if I make an appearance in 2022, you never know. I also did a blog a day for two weeks. I am awesome, but busier in life right now.

What an amazing blog


Michael Ó Chomáin It's Friday then, it's Saturday Sunday what? This chap is a whiskey powerhouse, travelling, drinking, making videos and fighting the good fight, a very entertaining account and even though he is well into his thirties, surprisingly, he is representing the youth side of things on whisky twitter, which is sometimes dominated by the older types. A special mention must go to his One Minute Whisky videos also, which are great, perhaps the best things I've seen this year in terms of whisky videos, and I wish there were more of them, but I understand he is a busy chap. Check him out here

(4) One-Minute Whiskey - YouTube

Brian for his Malt Musings I like Brian's blog and he is active on Twitter and for those two simple reasons I have decided that Brian is worthy of his place in the top ten (no order) Whisky Twitter Awards of 2021 so well done Brian! He is very technical on the distilleries, and you can't spell distillery without distil and if you are interested in distillation then Brian is your man. Brian is also seven feet tall an absolute unit and if I didn't give him an award I am sure he would eat me. Brian also replies to my tweets, I cannot stress enough how important this is with regards to these awards

Brian's Malt Musings (malt-musings.blogspot.com)

David Marra David is the first person to use the hashtag #CaskStrenthCrusade on Twitter on the 30th March 2019 and this has now been used many times, mostly by himself. It's not just whisky David focuses on, he often posts pictures of the insides of dead animals that have been chopped up and sold, as well as wine and beer too. But he is here for the whisky awards, he is very active on Twitter, and is in general a good egg who can handle debate, which is important IMHO, as well as promoting Irish whisky. I have bought a bottle based off his recommendation too, so there is that. Also LMAO at the beard shaving stuff

#CaskStrengthCrusade - Twitter Search / Twitter

Scotty's Drams Scott has a very good blog, in fact it's excellent and there is a lot of stuff in there, including one linked below that compares old vs new, and of course, mentions the horror of the flood, a biblical event. He also sends me messages from time to time and seems to be a nice chap which has not at all influenced this award not at all. Scotty is a clean chap, sharp and clean and has been collecting whisky since 2006, I can learn a lot from him, good old Scotty, well done Scotty I hope this award doesn't go to your head. I wish I had known him in 2006!

This is frighteningly good, damn his eyes

Can't see the wood for the whisky Claire is a good blogger and wrote something I agree with when it came to tasting notes so for that alone she's in! Also pleasant to chat to and took time out of her busy life to send me a message about something that we perhaps didn't agree with, but that's not really important because who really agrees with everyone on everything? Surely discussion is important, and even actions can be altered in disagreement because it's OK to think something but change your actions if appropriate, when appropriate, appropriately of course. She also is a professional gardener which is something that, IMHO, gives an interesting insight into whisky. The blog, which I would like to see much more of is linked for your convenience below. Well done Claire!

Wood for whisky


Aberdeen Whisky Shop Is it a shop, is it Nick from the shop, no, it's not Nick from the shop, it's someone else, it's someone who loves cats and whisky and is the best account for a whisky shop I have ever seen. This person, who shall remain anonymous, because I don't actually know who they are aside from just a really nice person, has grown the account from small humble beginnings to over three thousand followers and that's impressive. They also absolutely LOVE a retweet, which I think is fantastic, and their customers simply love them, what a good business and what a great account. Last in these awards, but certainly not least, well done to the Aberdeen Whisky Shop!


Why don't you shop at the Aberdeen Whisky Shop? 

So then, that was 2021 on Whisky Twitter, and what a year it has been, I mean, well done to everyone and there are a few special mentions, Sav70 vegan bastard, Dave Worthington, Tom Healy, Whisky Daddy (aka Jotterface), Alistair of Spirit and Wood, Gareth Jenkins, Rich Love a Drop of Rich Drams, Nick@AyeWhisky, Blair Bowman, David Brodie, Sorren of OCD Whisky, Mark Murphy, Brian Volkert (of Pampas Grass), Bill Linnane. Ireland's Worst Journalist™, Fiona Shoop, Chris at LarkFire, Dr Bog Standard Dram, The Dingles, Andrew@PadWhisky, WhiskyFlu, scrammerchat, Maria Robertson (twice now), Coldorak, Whiskytip (Duncan), The Doctor of the Bog Standard Dram, Fundramental Mark the Aaran legend, Mark Gillespie, Thijs of Words of Whisky for example, and of course the team at Waterford for the LOL's and Malt for having an editorial staff that simply 'don't give a fuck' and believe in ghosts. I am sure I am missing many names, I apologise, I am sorry I probably shouldn't have done this please forgive me. It's been a great year, I love Whisky Twitter, and I hope 2022 sees me at a few whisky festivals meeting some of these fine people but that might have to wait until 2023 by the look of things. I know I have missed some folks out, and I might simply update this blog as I go, but I just wanted to say, thank you for reading, thank you dearly, thank you all, it's tough being a critic, it really is.

Please fee free, if you are mentioned in this blog, to use this NFT free image and print it out and put it on your wall. Will you? I doubt it, but if you do, you will win my heart

This is text automatically inserted between images by a program I wrote to make sure that my blog didn't have concurrent images in it when I publish. If you are reading this, I messed up, and please let me know, so I can correct this error





Comments