Year of Bourbon

WWZ Aftermath Game Review LMAO


 WWZ was originally released in 2019, and has had content updates since then, finally resulting in something called Aftermath which includes a first person viewpoint and two new locations for players to take on the relentless Zombie hordes, and they certainly are relentless. That's the main selling point of this game if you ask me, the sheer number of Zombies making their way over and around barriers, bridges and even boats with one desire, to knock down and stand over your character laughing out loud as you wonder what you could have done differently. You can play on console and PC, and actually this game is crossplay, that is to say, you can play it across different platforms together, not that you get cross playing it, although there definitely is some of that (I'll get my coat)

Afterlaugh

Players can choose 7 different classes each with their own perks, upgrades and dynamics, all of which change how you play, either by yourself or with up to three other players. Grinding is definitely something you will have to do in this game if you want to play at the higher difficulty levels, and it's something you can do via the campaign mode which has all the set pieces and locations, or, currently, a single 'horde mode' in which you have to survive wave after wave of zombies, managing your defences using credits earned after each wave. But co-operative campaign play is where this game shines, and the replayability value is high, with loads to discover which each playthrough with different characters, guns and defensive kits. There are also quite a few levels that will offer different paths through the maps at random. Playing the game with friends over chat is phenomenal with strategy and co-ordination crucial, and recriminations can definitely follow. 'I'll cover your six while you take down the zombies at the gate' is definitely something I have said during playing this game, and makes me feel like should situations like this nightmarish hellscape senario ever come to pass, I would be well prepared in to work in a team to stay alive. I have trained. I have experience.

Mouse and keyboard users

I played this game on a standard PS4 and there are some framerate issues at times and that can be a little annoying as this is the type of game that does require a smooth and high framerate, which it does have for the most part. As I understand it from various videos on YouTube, this becomes less of an issue on 'better' consoles and not really much of an issue on PC. Speaking about PC, it is a much easier game to play because of the mouse/keyboard inputs which will always lend a higher degree of accuracy to your aiming, something that makes the console versions even harder to play though, and this game is very hard indeed on the higher difficulty levels. Something which I like. Even on the lowest difficulty setting, at the start, this game can cause you some issues. And some levels, if you are playing with other players and you aren't in communication with them, can actually be impossible to complete if everyone isn't 'escaping' at the same time. I have, at times, been raging 'at noobs' who don't realise they 'HAVE TO GET TO THE DAMN BOAT' instead of shooting the zombies, they won't stop they will keep on coming, get to the boat 'physcokiller594', you animal, damn YOU DAMN YOU!

Cold as ice, this is a gameplay picture I probably should have included more of these

A standard review will probably give you, or might give you, or has traditionally given you marks for graphics, sound, gameplay, replayability and some other stuff perhaps, but I am not going to do that. This game looks fine to me, and even has some pretty cool lighting effects at times. I have, or rather, my character, has cast a large shadow down a tunnel from the lights of a small bus, and I enjoyed that, and I have even been alerted to zombies from their shadows on a wall at times, so that's good. Sound is fine, I had no problems and even got freaked out with some of their snarls when they get close. The gunplay is excellent and it 'feels good' to shoot these zombies up close with shotguns and far away with sniper rifles. I also will say, that getting points for doing things and levelling up your character and guns is good fun and rewarding. The levels are pretty cool too, and there are loads of them.

So then, that's the end of my first ever video game review, I would give this game a solid 9/10 stars, and if you ever see a person by the handle of 'Electrolight' playing this game (on playstation), that's me, and I will probably be shouting 'noob' at you, as it the time honoured tradition for online games. Thank you for reading this, please take care and see you tomorrow.

Edit - Someone did point out to me that indeed, there are times when this game crashes, and indeed there are times when this game crashes. It does happen, and when it does, because you have put some effort in (it's difficult) and because you are awarded spending coins, it can hurt, lords so it can, and it's particularly bad in the horde mode, where you can put a considerable amount of time into defeating wave after wave, amassing those spending coins only to have your progress nullified with a crash. That is traumatic, and it should be mentioned. I still maintain the score because I am a fan, this is a fan review.


Comments